Friday, April 04, 2008

Indispensable Ridicule


I found a gold jacquard chair cover at the Mega Thrift, and promptly set to cannibalizing it. I used the reticule (ridicule, indispensable) pattern from La Mode Bagatelle. The fringe was already part of the chair cover, so that was easy to remove and reposition. The gold beads look as cheap as they really are, but I didn't want to spend more on something that would look way more fabulous, and then end up sitting on a chair all evening while I dance. So, cheapness reigns.

I like the way the Jacobean flower design turned out. I pretty much like everything about it (note that I'm not quite done; I'm still adding pearl beads to the lower trim). And I especially like the contrast between the pearls at the top opening and the darker gold lining fabric. What I hadn't counted on, though, was the fact that the design on the front got smooshed when I pulled the drawstrings. Makes perfect sense, but not necessarily what one is thinking about when one is in raptures over finding the perfect embroidery pattern. *sigh* Lesson learned. And yes, I only did the flower on one side. I'm way too impatient to do both front and back.

No comments: